How can I navigate my Oneworld RTW booking problems?

Hey everyone,

I’m posting to this forum because despite my best efforts, I’m still feeling a little dumb trying to book a RTW holiday with my QFF points. I’ve done a good deal of research and spoken with some QAN reps, but also mindful that there may be mannny unknown unknowns here.

I’d be incredibly grateful to summarise and kindly ask that you fine people confirm that my understanding is correct, or point me in the better direction!

Facts are as follows:

• ~700K QFF points
  • Planning on ~6 week family holiday to Spain in Aug. 2 adults, 2 kids = 4 seats.
  • Recently learned about the Oneworld Classic Flight Rewards recently and wanted to take advantage if possible (RTW economy for 132,400 points each)
  • Went to Oneworld website and found an itinerary we liked: MEL - SIN - BCN (via DOH layover) - LHR - LAX - MEL. All Oneworld carriers, stopping at all cities other than DOH, seemed to meet all other requirements.
  • Called Qantas and they explained that there are no classic rewards seats for most of these specific flights so I can’t use this offer.
  • Tried changing dates with the rep, no luck. Asked for alternative way to BCN (open to anything), no luck.

Q1: Am I correct in understanding that you can only take advantage of this offer by linking flights which all have classic rewards seats available? If so, I get the sense it’s probably best I just give up for this specific holiday?

Q2: After pouring through Qantas’ booking system for options, it seems to me that the best option is to just use points plus pay for return flights to BCN and call it a day. This feels a real shame considering it will exhaust all points plus cost a further $4400 (converting points for 0.6c of flight $), but perhaps it is as it is. Am I missing something please?

Thanks everyone. I’m sorry for asking basic questions, the FF game is obviously more than my little mind can handle.

J

Q1: Yes. Classic Rewards (award) seats are limited in supply. For a Qantas Oneworld RTW itinerary to work, all flights on the itinerary have to have available award seats on those particular flights.

Q2: Using point + pay is possible as long as a seat is available for purchase with cash. As you have correctly said, the cents per point (cpp) for points+pay is around 0.6 (very low). You could probably have a slightly better cpp from redeeming gift cards.

No one can tell you what to do and what is the right thing to do. However, in my opinion, I would suggest saving the Qantas points for a future trip unless you are cash poor and (you are) points rich.

In short: The Oneworld RTW website is great for inspirational work on itineraries but redeeming Qantas pts for the RTW itinerary will be subject to award space availabilities.

1 Like

Thanks very much Warren, all makes good sense to me :slight_smile:

1 Like