How can I choose seats on a Cathay Pacific flight booked with Qantas points?

Booked a return flight to Hong Kong early September using QFF points. Flight there is with Cathay Pacific, return with Qantas. Tried to reserve seats on the Cathay flight on Cathay web site but couldn’t. Called their Help Desk but not resolved. Further investigation on their site reveals that for Code Share tickets, seats can’t be booked until 48 hours prior to flight. There are two of us travelling. Is this standard for all Code Share flights or specific to Cathay Pacific? Is there anything to be gained by going to Qantas Help Desk?

Did you try with the Qantas booking ref number or the e-ticket number when you “manage booking” on the Cathay Pacific website?

When you say you couldn’t do it, what actually happened? Was there any error codes or explanation given?

Is this booking in the Economy or Business cabin?

This seems like a recent thing possibly?? I’ve previously booked a few reward Cathay flights with Qantas points and been able to then go to the Cathay website and choose my seats successfully. This was in business class. There seems to be a growing trend of more and more issues with Cathay of late though. They’ve changed flights on me, moved them to entirely new days (sometimes as much as 3 days) and completely cancelled my flights. I now try and avoid them at all costs when working out an itinerary. I’m sure it is a COVID legacy… especially so since Hong Kong was one of the last major cities to lift their quarantine restrictions. Cathay Pacific is still recovering and bringing planes back into full service which has caused lots of flow on issues.

I’m newbie… QFF points can book CX flight?

Qantas points can be used on Qantas and a range of Qantas partner or Oneworld alliance airlines.