How and where to start point hacking as a business owner?

Hello Everyone.
I have recently informed about this community and i am excited by the prospects it brings. Thanks in advance.
I have confused myself while trying to decide how I can have this work in my favour.
I have a small business and a small property portfolio which I would like to earn points off in addition to sign up bonuses. Both the properties and the business have moderate to high spending per annum. I have 3 questions for you.

1. Can I pool points on my personal and business credit cards? I have moderate personal spending and high business expenses. I would love to maximise my spend if possible.
  2. Can I earn points on things like, rent, council rates, utilities, insurance? I remember reading about providers who do not let you pay for some of these items.
  3. What would you do in my situation?

I appreciate the help.

Kind regards

Hi @michael8t1! Welcome!

I assume you are looking for a points earning card for your business expenses. To answer your questions:

1. Yes! It seems that with AMEX for example, both the points in your personal card and business card will all end up in the one AMEX account for you to spend. I don’t know if this is still the case or with other banks, but that is what I’ve been told in the past.

2. The general rule of thumb is anything to do with debt or the government is a no-go in terms of credit card payments. However, I do know some people that have paid them through another service but that usually incurs a charge.

3. I think you should start looking at some small business cards options. AMEX has some lovely ones but depending on what you spend it on (e.g. plumbers for a house reno aren’t typically likely to take AMEX) you might also need a accompanying VISA or Mastercard option. Unfortunately we aren’t in the position of recommending financial services to you on this forum. But my best advice to you is RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. Find the best option for you in terms of the balance between annual fee, benefits, and points earn rate.

2 Likes

Hi michael8t1

A good response from djtech and a very good advice - RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH.

1. Yes, you can pay council rates, utilities, insurance using credit cards and earn points. I am paying all of these on my credit cards and earning points. You just need to get the right card and RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH can help you find it.

@ck009 had mentioned a Sniip in other threads and I thougth it’d be helpful to put the pointshack article here.

As always, you must weigh up the options of using AMEX or another points-earning credit card to see if its worth the 1.5% surcharge for the amount of points you’ll get.