Having trouble finding award seats to book a RTW redemption using Qantas points

Hi all. New to this forum so sorry if this has been asked before.
I have read the guide to booking a RTW trip using Qantas points but I cant even get the first sector done.
I originally hoped to fly SYD to JNB in business class anytime after April 2023 but it shows there are no reward seats on any dates next year. So I looked at SYD to LHR and I get same result. No rewards flights! I even looked at dates that didn’t suit where the calendar suggests there are reward flights but when I select the date I can’t find a reward flight in any class.
I find it hard to believe there are no reward flights this far out.

Thanks.

G’day @neilholding

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there is most likely no Classic reward availability for pretty much all dates post-Easter for travel from Australia to anywhere bar Asia (and maybe the US?). However, if you can get to a gateway city in Asia, such as Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Colombo (or others), either using cash or Qantas Points as part of a RTW trip (or simple Classic Reward trip), then you may have better luck.

As an example, to get you to JNB from SYD (and NOT part of a Oneworld Classic Reward, or ‘RTW’), you could take the following:

13:25 - 20:15 Malaysia Airlines SYD - KUL (19 April) - Economy
10:15 - 13:10 Emirates KUL - DXB (20 April) - Business
14:40 - 20:50 Emirates DXB - JNB (20 April) - Business

Total Cost: 149,400 Qantas Points + ~745 in taxes/fees per person

This is purely an example, and note you cannot use Emirates as part of a Oneworld RTW, as they’re not part of Oneworld. It was just to show a method of getting to the destination you want as comfortable as possible, without simply paying for Biz.

If you have a more in depth itinerary that you’re unsure about, just post it and myself or the many, more knowledgeable people here can probably help out.

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Thanks very much for your detailed reply. Starting to realise that booking a RTW trip is challenging but will continue to see what is possible.

Thanks again.