Has anyone had any luck with status credit/points on reward flights?

Hi all,

I’ve read conflicting reports about people receiving both status credits and velocity points from reward travel with Virgin.

My scenario is that I booked 2 X 1 way business reward flights from Mel - Dub through my Velocity FF account on Etihad, one for me and one for my partner (who is also a Velocity member).  Both of our FF numbers are assigned to assigned to the booking.

Now I presume that I won’t get anything for this with it being a reward ticket but has anyone been lucky enough to receive anything for similar flights in the past?  Would my partner be more likely to be credited points as I made the booking.  Alternatively, if I registered for Etihad Guest is there a loophole in the information passed between the two airlines which would help me?

The credits for this flight, if received would bump me up to Velocity Gold so there’s an added incentive here for me.

Thanks!

Chris

Hi\r\n\r\nWhen redeeming your points for a flight with Virgin there are 2 ways you can do it. \r\n\r\n1. Redeeming a reward flight or \r\n2. Redeeming with a standard Economy/Economy Saver or Business class seat. \r\n\r\nThe former will cost you considerably less points but the down side is you don’t get the miles or status credits. The latter will cost you considerably more points but you will gain miles and status credits exactly the same if you purchased the ticket with cash.\r\n\r\nSo in your case a single reward ticket to the Middle East from Aus will cost around 90,000 miles I think where to redeem points to allow you to claim the miles and status credits the ticket will cost you somewhere between 400,000 and 500,000 (possibly more) miles depending on the routing and availability.\r\n\r\nI often don’t use the reward flights as often you can get very good deals with Economy or Economy Saver tickets which help considerably when trying to keep your status as high as possible.\r\n\r\nHope this helps.\r\n\r\nCheers

Craigster.

I think you’ve misinterpreted the original poster’s query. He wants to know if anyone has "accidentally " had status credits given for a reward flight not how to get credits for a rewards flight.

I’ve heard of it rarely happening but it isn’t supposed to happen . Changing the frequent flyer scheme won’t do the trick either the reason being is that in the system your ticket is coded as a rewards flight and the call centre knew this once when I wanted to confirm flight details. I even changed the frequent flyer program to a different one from which I originally booked under . Made no difference. No points nor status

Also the original poster is flying to Dublin code DUBnot the Middle East . Dubai has an airport code DXB and is not served by Etihad