Do you need IHG Ambassador at booking or at check in only to get the benefits?

Hi all, new member first post so be kind. I want to book a stay at IHG resort in Thailand for this time next year. I will join the IHG ambassador program at some stage before I go, do I need to be an ambassador before I make the booking to get the upgrade and other privileges of just be an ambassador when I check in. Cannot seem to find the answer anywhere.

Eskii9

Hi eskii9,

I’ve experienced this exact scenario.  I joined the Ambassador program after booking accommodation with the Intercontinental in London but before my stay.

Upon arrival at the hotel, I was given the upgrade and enjoyed all other Ambassador benefits, including fresh fruit, chocolates and wine in my room.

Just be aware that if you are hoping to redeem the Ambassador Free Weekend Night Certificate for your stay, then technically you should already be an Ambassador before making your booking.

However, there is a bit of a work around.  If you go to this link on IHG’s website, you can select "Ambassador Certificate’ from the Rate Preference drop-down menu, input your city and travel dates (make sure you cover a Friday or Saturday) and search for availability on that rate.  This will allow you to complete an Ambassador Certificate booking before you have received your Certificate or joined the Ambassador program.  You will then just need to present your Ambassador Certificate at check-in.

Hope this helps,

Jack