Can you force the bank to give you points?

Westpac presently have an offer of 60,000 QFF. The T&C’s say “Existing Westpac customers who currently hold an Altitude Platinum or Altitude Black credit card, or who have held one in the last 12 months are not eligible for this offer.” I have had this card previously within the last 18 months, but then I cancelled it, so I am not a customer of the bank anymore. I want to apply for it again. “Existing” means “in existence at the current time”. As I am not an “existing” customer, I am in fact eligible again. They can’t just say I’ve had one in the past 18 months so I am not eligible, because you have to read that part in conjunction with the word “existing”. (They should have said “anyone” who has held this card…") If I apply for the card can the bank be forced to give the points?

You start of saying within 12 months, but then say that you have held this card in the last 18 months but then cancelled it so it’s a bit unclear?

Could you please clarify the wording of the offer as well as how long ago you cancelled your most recent card with Westpac?

In theory however no, there’s no forcing to be done in the arena of points. Barely anyone ever reads the document in its entirety, but separate to the paraphrased and concise version of the eligibility T’s and C’s which come on all promotional material for a card, there will be an in depth PDS usually in the foot of the web page detailing the finer points of the offer.

It will specify in no-uncertain terms the card issuers understanding of the terms which they use, and the way in which they will classify and assess applicants. If the bank then doesn’t credit your points, they will point to the PDS and the clarification of who they do and don’t deem eligible, and no-doubt refer to one of the many “tick here to confirm you agree to…” boxes that liter any application, where nobody reads the document in it’s full 85 page plus glory, as proof that you read and understood that you weren’t eligible under the current offer.

At the end of the day, if you’re not eligible you’re not eligible, and the bank will point to the PDS which you have agreed to the terms therein and if they believe you are the sort of customer that is precluded from their offer, they won’t credit you the points and there’s not really anything you can do about it.