Can I use KrisFlyer Miles to get from Perth To Mauritius?

I am a member of Kestral FF programme with Air Mauritius. I’m about to fly to and from Europe businsss class on Singapore Airlines for which I’ll accumulate some KrisFlyer miles. I’m trying to see if I could then either use/transfer these so I could use them getting to and from Mauritius which we do at least once a year. Any ideas?

Hello and welcome @fishsilv

The simplest solution would be to join Air Canada’s Aeroplan frequent flyer programme. Aeroplan is a partner of both Singapore Airlines and Air Mauritius.

This means that you can earn Aeroplan points on your Singapore Airlines flights, and use those points for Air Mauritius flights.

See the guide below for tips on how to earn more Aeroplan points.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hi, thanks for that.
So even if my flights were booked through Singapore Airlines, I could provide an Aeroplan FFP number when asked if I am a member of a program or do I collect them as Krysflyer miles and then transfer across similar to the vilocity program? I’m guessing I’d have to work out whether my flights produce enough Aeroplan rewards to be able to fly from Perth to Mauritius.

Hello again @fishsilv

You need to provide your Aeroplan number to Singapore Airlines before your flights. Yes, even if the flights have SQ flight numbers, if you have given them your Aeroplan number, the points will be credited to Aeroplan rather than KrisFlyer.

Almost certainly, one long-haul flight will not give you enough points for another long-haul flight, or everyone would be trying to use points for every second flight! It takes time to accumulate the points you need for long-haul flying, no matter what FF programme you’re using. That’s why I referred you to that article which talks about other strategies for accumulating Aeroplan points (such as the HSBC Star Alliance credit card).

If you find that accumulating Aeroplan points is too hard, you could try joining Emirates Skywards. Emirates is another FF partner of Air Mauritius. The downside is that Singapore Airlines is not a partner of Emirates, so you won’t be able to accumulate Emirates points from your Singapore Airlines flights.

Thank you again. I understand that I won’t get a large amount of miles/points out of thhese flights to and from Europe. Mauritius is an 8 hour flight from Perth and unfortunately only Air Mauritius does the direct route. So I was trying to work out whether I should just take the KrisFlyer and create a Velocity account and use them in Australia or whether I could find a way that I could use them for Mauritius travel. I’ll have a good look but I think I might be leaning toward the Velocity option as it might be too complicated to earn enough Aeroplan miles to even use as an upgrade from Perth to Mauritius.
Thanks again for your help.