Can I make points redemptions of multiple websites for the same airline?

Hello,
I’ve managed to (somehow) find business-class points redemption flights to get me back to Australia (and to my home port too) from the northern hemisphere but via different websites. It’s with the same airline. Is it ill-advisable to purchase such redemptions with only a 3-hour international stop-over?

Secondly, as it is with the same airline, could I have the flights combined on to one ticket at the departure airport (so that my bags go all the way through)? Is this even possible (as they would’ve been purchased with different points currencies)?

Lastly, as one of the websites is not an Australian one, but the price is quoted in AUD, I’m assuming that I would be charged in their local currency and therefore have to pay a conversion fee?

Let’s hope that those redemptions are still available.
Thanks.

Hi @MG1,

It is not possible to book connecting flights and expect any protection in the event of a delay/cancellation causing you to miss the subsequent flight(s).

If you wish, you could provide some more specifics as to which website and which airlines you are thinking of so we can confirm.

Thank you for your rapid reply @w.hiew: much appreciated.

I had a feeling that that might (unfortunately) be the case - thank you for the confirmation.

Provided that everything runs on time (and there are many parts that would be outside of my control), do you believe that three hours would be too short, especially if I need to collect my bags then go through security again? Checking-in online, I assume, would help to speed up this process.

Is this a situation that you’ve found yourself in?

Is this a scenario that you would consider taking or is it just too risky?
(Obviously, I would rather it be a connecting flight but I’m unable to locate that on all the different airline websites that I’ve looked at. This is the only option I have found, even though it is not ideal.)

I understand that without providing the specific airline and airports that the information can only be general and not specific - I still appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance.

It depends on the airport/airline. I wouldn’t risk it if it was me. I would probably stay another night to mitigate the risk. Again without details, I can’t comment more usefully.

Curious why you are withholding information but I shouldn’t pry into others privacy.

There may be other ways around your dilemma.

Hi, @w.hiew,
Thank you for your response.

I agree that it is not without risk and is certainly not my preferred option.

When searching, for the dates that I was after, they were the only options I could find. I decided to take a risk and purchase the points flights so at least I’d have something and should a better/safer option come up later, I’ll just cop the cancellation fee(s) later on.

The first one went very smoothly (QR redemption with Velocity points - I have selected my QSuite seat).

The second one not so much (QR redemption with AY points, leaving DOH a few hours later). Despite saying on (just about) every page that it is a Business Award, they’ve given me an economy ticket. This is very misleading and unfair. I’ve got the screenshots to prove what I selected and have raised it with them. Let’s hope that they have some Christmas spirit and it can all get sorted out in a timely manner.

I appreciate your advice and wish that you have a merry Christmas and have a few days off.

1 Like