Can an airline move you onto another flight if booked with points?

Hi. This is my first post to the community and would love some advice. I booked a velocity redemption flight back in December which is on Singapore Airline rather than Virgin. The flight is from Perth to Singapore and then to Colombo. All up around 11 hours duration. Today I received a notification from Virgin that I have been changed to another flight which is departing 7 hours earlier from Perth but my connecting flight stays the same taking the duration to around 18 hours. My original flight has not been cancelled so looks like I have been bumped. My question is can they do this and if yes can I ask for any type of compensation. It is already a business class flight. Cheers

Depends on the agent over the phone you are talking to. Some agents may be willing to provide above and beyond service to rebook you on another flight even if you are not on a paid ticket but most agents will only book you on another service if that service also has award availability in the same class of service you’ve booked.

Had exactly the same thing happen to me last week on an SQ ticket bought with velocity points, called velocity and had them change the ticket to a day earlier to save transiting singapore for 9 hours compared to 2 which was the case once they changed me to an earlier flight automatically. Yes of course they can do it, especially in the current climate. Are you serious or joking about compensation, I couldn’t tell, schedule and aircraft changes happen all the time, my ticket is also in J.