Business Class from Bangkok to Melbourne - Any experience with Malaysia Airlines or Vietnam Airlines?

Hey fellow point hackers,

I am wanting to know people’s experiences with either Malaysia Airlines or Vietnam Airlines business class products?
I need to take an overnight flight from BKK to MEL. Obviously both of these airlines are not direct, but both of these airlines fit in with my desired arrival time in MEL - and are affordable (not using points for this flight - revenue tickets)

As of today’s prices VN comes in at $413 pp cheaper then ML. Both have similar layover time (4-5 hours) at their home ports (SGN for VN flight). Both flights will be on either Dreamliner (VN) or refurbished A330 (ML) - as in both offer flat beds on the longer flight.

My aim is to be able to maximize sleep time on the longer flight back to MEL. But I’m also considerate of lounges. I’ve also heard ML no longer serve alcohol on flights less then 3 hours (BKK to KUL).

Has anyone had in experience with either airline?

Not concerned about points/status credits as I am bronze with QFF, and will not be anywhere near achieving anything higher.

Also open to any other suggested airlines that can put me into MEL before 11am.

Thank you in advance!!

Hi Andrew,

While waiting for more advice from others with the experience, I suggest having a play at routehappy.com . It is quite handy for comparing flights.

Thanks for the response w-hiew

I ended up booking with Vietnam Airlines after reading/viewing reviews from a traveler who blogged it recently… for anyone else who is interested the link is here: