Best ways to utilise Qantas and Velocity points to redeem return award flights from Darwin to Dublin via Dubai?

Hi All,

I am gold with Virgin and Qantas.

I currently have 40,000 points with Qantas and 140,000 with Virgin. I am looking to get flights in April for my partner and I from Darwin to Dublin and back but with a stopover in Dubai for a few days. Preferably I would rather fly with Qantas / Virgin or their partners so that we can make use of luggage and lounge facilities but I was also hoping to try and upgrade to business for one part of one of the flights.
Has anyone any ideas in how to best utilise my points please ?

We could fly from Perth if necessary but would rather fly from Darwin but not with a 7 or 8 hour stopover in Adelaide or Melbourne.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Aly

From the Qantas perspective I think  you redeem points to get to KL on Malaysian or SIN on Jetstar, and then pick up an Emirates flight from either, through to Dubai and Dublin

Only hitch is that Malaysian redemption tickets won’t show on the Qantas FF engine. Paying cash to get out of Darwin may be easier!!

Hi,

For DRW-PER-DXB-DUB, the QFF calculator indicates that you need 73k QFF pts for one way with stop over in Dubai in Economy. (60k if transiting only).

In business it is 128k/156k(stopover).

With your Velocity points, you can redeem Singapore Airlines flights either directly with VFF or transfer to Krisflyer to redeem SQ flight directly. In general, Krisflyer redemptions cost more in taxes/surcharge.

I think the 1st issue I can see is availabilities as April is not far away. You are limited to what award space is available.

Since you do not have an abundance of points, you may have to be strategic with regards to which leg you would like to redeem/ maybe redeem for 1 person, etc.

If you are aiming for upgrades, Krisflyer has confirmed upgrade if award space is available. E.g. you could buy a premium economy ticket and possibly upgrade to business with your Krisflyer points (transferred from Velocity).

There are various ways to skin the cat (no cats were harmed in the process), however, 1st things 1st, you need to check on availabilities on Qantas, Virginaustralia, Singapore airlines on the dates you want to travel on.