Best ways to transfer Asia Miles / AMEX MR points to spouse?

Hi All

My husband & I are keen to start collecting Asia Miles between us but seems as if the program charges huge $$$ amounts to transfer and pool points together.

I’ve just signed up for a AMEX Explorer card with bonus Membership Reward points for the purpose of collecting Asia Miles, but again, we’re restricted to transferring these MR points between each other too.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi,\r\n\r\nI asked the same question to Amex to which they responded:\r\n—\r\nI understand that you wish to transfer points to someone else’s reward account. I am afraid that you will be unable to do so because transfer of points between two accounts is possible only when the Basic Card member is the same on both the accounts and when both the Cards are enrolled into the same membership rewards tier.\r\n\r\nHowever, what you can do is gift points to him but the Minimum and the Maximum Transfer amounts are 1,000 and 50,000 points respectively. Also a $5.00 fee (including GST) per 1,000 points may apply. Please visit the link below to download the points gifting form:\r\n\r\nhttp://www.americanexpress.com/australia/customerservice/personal_forms_documents.shtml\r\n—\r\n\r\nfor your reference, I have a plat edge and was looking to transfer points from my spouse’s account to mine.\r\n\r\nedit I spoke withe AMEX again who provided some further info. Provided the transfer is between the same tier program, or from a higher tier to a lower tier, there are no fees.\r\n\r\nCheers,\r\n\r\nW

Hi,

It was interesting to find the large cost with transferring Asia Miles between accounts. I suppose it is a deterrence from anyone planning to misuse the ability.

I am aware only of the transfer of Amex points between accounts and on paper you can transfer up to 50k pts per calendar year. If you are interested to transfer more, maybe you’d have to have a chat with an Amex agent and work out your options.

As you obviously already know, it is much easier to use a higher balance in a single account hence it is a good idea to keep it in 1 acct in the long run.