Anyone tried flying in Boeing 747-400 and 747-8 premium cabins?

Hi, all,
I’m aware that many airlines have either ceased using or phasing out the use of their 747s. The main versions still in operation today are the 747-400 and the newer 747-8I. If anyone out there has travelled on both, is there much difference from a passenger perspective, particular in the premium seats?

Thank you.

I’m not sure if I’ve flown a newer 747-8I aircraft or not, but I know before COVID I flew an older Qantas 747-400 from Brisbane to LAX. It had the old style business class “pods” in a 2-3-2 arrangement, but also had a “defit” of the first class section in the nose of the lower deck with business class seats arranged in there as well. It was very strange. I was in the nose section in a single seat along the right side of the wall. The plane creaked and groaned so much on takeoff I seriously wondered if were were going to stay in the air! But I digress… in regards to your question, I think it’s more a question of which airlines provide the nicest fit out if still flying 747’s on their long haul routes. I know Lufthansa uses them from Frankfurt to Singapore. However I found their business class offering very underwhelming. It doesn’t feel special at all when compared to other middle eastern airlines or Singapore/Cathay Pacific. Just my personal opinion though. :o)

I would watch a bunch of youtube reviews of 747 premium cabin configurations to see if you can find any differences between your two models of interest. You may find a certain airline attracts you with their layout etc… or maybe you’re just wanting to experience flying on the upper deck of a 747? All depends on your desires.

Best of luck!

2 Likes

Hi, @jenart,
Thank you for your detailed response. What you’ve said makes sense - the carrier and formation should definitely be looked into, in-conjunction with the aircraft itself. I will continue to view more videos online to broaden my knowledge on this topic.

Thanks again.

@MG1 I just came across this recent video of a 747-8 review that might be helpful for you:

1 Like

Thank you very much @jenart.
Lots of interesting information.